Home Buyers’ Program
Thanks to BAND’s housing partnerships with The City of Hollywood, The City of Plantation, The City of Sunrise, The City of Deerfield Beach and Broward County, you can now realize your dream of homeownership. Through our public-private partnerships, BAND receives funding under the Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP). The funding, according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), can be used “to acquire and redevelop foreclosed properties that might otherwise become sources of abandonment and blight.”
Potential buyers may receive UP TO $40,000 in down payment assistance to purchase a newly-renovated home. You DO NOT need to be a first-time home buyer to qualify! Homes are available in select areas throughout Broward County. To learn more about the Home Buyers Program register to participate in the next available Homeownership Orientation.
Homeownership Orientation Workshop
Your first step on the path to homeownership! This is a free, one (1) hour session held to provide:
- An overview of Neighborhood Stabilization Program (NSP) eligibility
- An overview of the steps to homeownership
- An overview of what you will learn in the Homebuyer Education Course (8 hour course); and
- How we can help you get started on the path to homeownership
The next BAND Homeownership Orientation Session has been scheduled for November 3, 2015. Click here to registers. Space is limited for this event.
Home Buyer Education and Counseling
Homebuyer Education and Counseling is a big part of what BAND is all about. Through our collaborative partnerships with Housing Foundation of America, Neighborhood Housing Services of South Florida (NHSSF), and Urban League of Broward County (ULBC), the home buying process for you will be made easier. homebuyers will learn about the home buying process and the responsibilities of homeownership. They will also participate in one-on-one counseling sessions to help resolve credit related issues for the purpose of setting a strategy for mortgage loan approval. Our Homebuyer Education and Counseling classes are conducted by HUD certified housing counseling agencies. The housing counselor will assist you through the entire home buying experience. Is this your dream home, available homes?
Post Purchase Workshops
BAND will be there for you after you buy your home. BAND, with its housing counseling agency partners (Housing Foundation of America, H.O.M.E.S. Inc., Urban League of Broward County) offer post-purchase counseling and workshops to sharpen your skills and provide support so you can successfully maintain ownership. post-purchase workshops include topics such as:information
- Creating and maintaining a realistic budget
- Seasonal home maintenance and home repair
- Homeownership responsibilities and warranties
- What is homestead and filing requirements and process
- Avoiding home improvement scams
- How to avoid credit problems and foreclosure
In addition, those who attend the post-purchase workshops will receive a house warming gift from BAND.
Interested in renting? BAND member organizations have high quality affordable rental housing available. South Florida Community Land Trust (SFCLT) and Urban League of Broward County (ULBC) provide rental housing for low-to-moderate income individuals and families. The rental properties are located in select areas of Broward County. Individuals interested in becoming a tenant should contact South Florida Community Land Trust at (954) 769-1731 or Urban League of Broward County at (954) 584-0777 for additional information.
BAND NSP Team
- HOMES, Inc.
- Urban League of Broward County
- LES (Hollywood)
- Housing Foundation of America
What is the NSP?
- A Federal Government Program
- Part of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008
- Signed by President Bush in July, 2008
- Provides Emergency Assistance for the Redevelopment of Abandoned and Foreclosed Homes
How did BAND get NSP funds?
Money was allocated to local jurisdictions based on a formula and each recipient submitted a plan for the use of NSP funds (within the federal guidelines) which was approved by HUD. BAND members / organizations created a NSP delivery model and BAND responded to RFPs to selected cities and Broward County. BAND selected those who would use the acquisition, rehabilitation, and buyer preparation model for NSP and Municipal jurisdictions contracted with BAND to administer the NSP program.
How are NSP funds used?
- To purchase foreclosed property from bank
- To renovate homes, correct code and zoning violations
- To create positive neighborhood impact
- To create affordable housing; including rentals for very low income persons
BANDs Objective with NSP
- Correct all code and zoning violations
- Provide clear title to new buyers
- Address any health and safety issues
- Have a positive neighborhood impact
How many homes will be available?
- BAND has acquired approximately 105 homes to date
- In Plantation, BAND developed 3 rental homes for very low income households
- BAND has approximately 40 houses in some stage of renovation
- 68 homes have closed with new buyers
- At any given point, BAND can have anywhere from 3-10 homes available for sale.
Who is eligible for a NSP home?
|The Broward County Income Category Chart is based on the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Income Limits of Documentation System.|
|Effective March, 2015|
|Broward County’s Median Income is $63,300|
|Household Size||Extremely Low||Very Low||Low||Moderate|
|Home Sales Price Cannot Exceed:|
|New Construction $391,154|
|Existing Contruction $391,154|
- Families making less than 120% of the Area Median Income
- Family of 4 = $ 82,920
- Must be credit worthy (eligible for mortgage loan)
NSP Outreach Workshops
What are BAND’s Service Areas?
- Unincorporated Areas
- Coconut Creek
- Cooper City
- Dania Beach
- Lauderdale Lakes
- Lauderdale by the Sea
- Lazy Lake
- Lighthouse Point
- Oakland Park
- Pembroke Park
- Sea Ranch Lakes
- Southwest Ranches
- West Park
- Wilton Manors